Prep 45 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is my own personal recipe that we have loved for years. I just never got around to writing it down in recipe form. I have also used 1 pkg. Lawry's fajita marinade instead of the rub. The tortillas could be steamed in a steamer in stead of being fried.
- 2 lbs chicken breasts, boneless and skinless
- 1⁄2 cup Mexican seasoning (Mexican Seasoning Mix , I used the whole recipe minus the red peppers)
- 1 small onion, chopped finely (optional)
- 24 corn tortillas
- 1 1⁄2 lbs cheese, grated (I use mexican combination or monterey jack)
- 28 ounces red enchilada sauce (I use mild or use medium if you like things hotter, I use El Pato brand)
- 24 ounces sour cream (I have used regular and low-fat)
- oil for frying tortilla
- This recipe uses 2 13x9 pans. 12 enchiladas per pan.
- Bake at 350F for 35 minutes total.
- Put the rub on the chicken. (or marinate the chicken breasts for 30 minutes.).
- Cook the breasts on broil for 5 minutes on each side.
- Let the breasts cool for 15 minutes.
- Chop the chicken breasts finely. Set aside.
- If using onions add them to chicken .
- Combine enchilada sauce and sour cream in large saucepan. Heat on low.
- Soften tortillas on both sides in oil, or steam. I drain torillas on paper towels until used.
- Put 4 serving spoons of sauce in the bottom of pan.
- Dip tortilla into sauce mixture on both sides of tortilla.
- Put tortilla in pan, add 1 heaping serving spoon chicken and then cheese into tortilla.
- Wrap up and proceed with the next 11 tortillas.
- Set this pan aside and proceed with the rest of enchiladas in other pan.
- Divide the leftover sauce over the the enchiladas in both pans.
- Spread the last 8 oz. of grated cheese between the 2 pans. I use approximately 8 oz cheese per pan.
- Cover with foil. At this point I refrigerate one pan for later in the week.
- Bake pan for 20 minutes , then remove foil and cook for an additional 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let set 10 minutes.
- Serve with guacamole.
really good .i usually have chicken with green sauce the red is wicked good also , i dip my corn tortillas in the hot red sauce , no oil and they get soft cherry bombers
Great enchiladas! Very easy to make and my grand kids loved them. I used recipe #456146 #456146 for the seasoning which turned out really good. Thanks Lynn for another keeper. Made for ZWT8 - Mexico/Tex Mex.
A very easy, kid-friendly recipe for enchiladas. They sauce is pink because the sour cream gets mixed with the red enchilada sauce.