This is my own personal recipe that we have loved for years. I just never got around to writing it down in recipe form. I have also used 1 pkg. Lawry's fajita marinade instead of the rub. The tortillas could be steamed in a steamer in stead of being fried.
- 2 lbs chicken breasts, boneless and skinless
- 1⁄2 cup Mexican seasoning (Mexican Seasoning Mix , I used the whole recipe minus the red peppers)
- 1 small onion, chopped finely (optional)
- 24 corn tortillas
- 1 1⁄2 lbs cheese, grated (I use mexican combination or monterey jack)
- 28 ounces red enchilada sauce (I use mild or use medium if you like things hotter, I use El Pato brand)
- 24 ounces sour cream (I have used regular and low-fat)
- oil for frying tortilla
- This recipe uses 2 13x9 pans. 12 enchiladas per pan.
- Bake at 350F for 35 minutes total.
- Put the rub on the chicken. (or marinate the chicken breasts for 30 minutes.).
- Cook the breasts on broil for 5 minutes on each side.
- Let the breasts cool for 15 minutes.
- Chop the chicken breasts finely. Set aside.
- If using onions add them to chicken .
- Combine enchilada sauce and sour cream in large saucepan. Heat on low.
- Soften tortillas on both sides in oil, or steam. I drain torillas on paper towels until used.
- Put 4 serving spoons of sauce in the bottom of pan.
- Dip tortilla into sauce mixture on both sides of tortilla.
- Put tortilla in pan, add 1 heaping serving spoon chicken and then cheese into tortilla.
- Wrap up and proceed with the next 11 tortillas.
- Set this pan aside and proceed with the rest of enchiladas in other pan.
- Divide the leftover sauce over the the enchiladas in both pans.
- Spread the last 8 oz. of grated cheese between the 2 pans. I use approximately 8 oz cheese per pan.
- Cover with foil. At this point I refrigerate one pan for later in the week.
- Bake pan for 20 minutes , then remove foil and cook for an additional 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let set 10 minutes.
- Serve with guacamole.
Great enchiladas! Very easy to make and my grand kids loved them. I used Mexican Seasoning Mix #456146 for the seasoning which turned out really good. Thanks Lynn for another keeper. Made for ZWT8 - Mexico/Tex Mex.
A very easy, kid-friendly recipe for enchiladas. They sauce is pink because the sour cream gets mixed with the red enchilada sauce.
I made just 1 pan using flour tortillas. Easy to put together and although I didn't fry my tortillas in oil first, the dipping of them in the sauce mixture first was unique (although we don't feel it made a difference vs pouring the sauce over top in the casserole dish). We topped with chopped cilantro and more onion on top before baking. We really enjoyed the seasoned grilled chicken in this dish. Thanks for a keeper recipe!