Recipe by Pete Flannery #2
A delicious nut roast that will appeal to all. For the strictest vegetarians and vegans I suggest omit the egg and try "Redwoods ‘Super Melting Cheezly" in place of Cheddar and Life Vegetarian Worcester Sauce
- 450 g mixed nuts
- 2 slice bread
- 1 medium onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 100 g cheddar cheese, grated
- 236.59 ml vegetable stock
- 4.92 ml marmite (yeast extract)
- 0.25 ml Worcestershire sauce
- 4.92 ml mixed herbs
- 4.92 ml coarse grain mustard
- 1 egg, can be omitted without spoiling the recipe
- 4.92 ml butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Chop up the nuts in a processor or blender to a coarse, even, consistency.
- Do likewise with the bread to produce coarse breadcrumbs.
- Finely chop the onion and garlic, then sauté in the butter until softened and slightly coloured.
- Add the Nuts, Breadcrumbs Cheese and Onion to a large mixing bowl and mix gently.
- Keep back a little cheese for topping.
- Make up the Stock and add the Herbs, Mustard, Marmite and Worcester sauce.
- Sparingly add the stock mix to the other ingredients. The mixture wants to be stiff and you can always add more stock or water later.
- Break an egg into the mixture and stir thoroughly.
- Line a loaf tin with baking paper.
- Transfer the mixture into the lined tin and compress it.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese on the top.
- Cover with foil, pierce the foil to allow moisture to escape.
- Bake in a medium oven for 45 minutes; remove the foil for the last ten to brown the top.
- You can serve straight away but it will be very crumbly. It will slice better when cold and is delicious whether served cold or re-heated in the oven or microwave.