Recipe by aerobicon
These brownies don't have any "unusual" ingredients in them that a lot non-vegans are willing to try. I found this recipe online and changed the recipe around a bit. I baked them for a school project and everyone loved them! Sure they aren't too healthy but...:)
Top Review by janellbennett
I thought this was a great recipe. I didn't have any chocolate syrup so I added molasses instead. I also only had about 1 cup white organic sugar so I added about 1 cup brown sugar , packed. Didn't need the frosting. It was Yummy!
- 2 1⁄3 cups flour
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 2⁄3 cup cocoa powder
- 2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄8 cup Hersheys Chocolate Syrup
- 1 (12 ounce) canduncan hines chocolate frosting (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix 1/3 cup of flour in a heavy saucepan with the water. Heat over medium-high heat, stirring constantly. Continue until mixture is a lot thicker and boiling or on the verge of boiling. Cool completely. To cool, you can put it in the fridge but make sure it doesn't get too cold.
- While cooling, melt margarine in microwave or on the stovetop, and then stir in the cocoa powder.
- Beat sugar, salt and vanilla extract into the cooled flour-water mixture. Add the cocoa-margarine mixture and stir well.
- Stir together the remaining 2 cups of flour and the baking powder, then add to the previous mixture.
- Stir in chocolate syrup.
- Line a 9x13 pan with parchment paper or grease it. Pour in batter and bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Let brownies cool, then frost them and enjoy:).