Recipe by .Liz.(Daddy's little Chef)
My father's a Chef. We made this the other day and it was great. I asked for measurements (sense he doesn't measure, all he does is pour in) and he gave to me. Hope you guys like. If your wondering what "spread caramel within 1" from the edge. Spread to within 1", means you want to leave a plain one inch border around the edges. Also, How did we cut the squares so perfectly? All we used was a sharp knife (that we dipped and wiped dry, every time) in hot water. Hope this helps, if you have any questions, let me know... Enjoy!!!
Top Review by John J.
Made this for my friends daughters birthday, was my first attempt in baking. Well 2nd attempt, first try the cheesecake cracked looked like the Grand Canyon lol.Made the 2nd one and came out great! Everyone loved it and wants me to make it again
For the cheesecake
- 1 1⁄2 cups cookie crumbs (crushed. recommend, Oreo or Chocolate Graham, but can use Vanilla Wafers)
- 1⁄2 cup toasted chopped walnuts
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 32 unwrapped caramel candies (cubed)
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 4 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 4 large eggs (at room temperature)
- 7 ounces chopped bittersweet chocolate, melted
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons instant espresso powder
For the topping
- 1⁄4 cup toasted chopped walnuts
- 1 ounce chopped bittersweet chocolate, melted
Directions See How It's Made
- To prepare the cheesecake.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, mix together crushed cookie crumbs, walnuts, butter and salt until well combined. Scoop mixture into a 9" x 13" baking pan coating with nonstick spray - evenly press the mixture down to form a crust over the bottom.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, add caramels and milk - heat on medium power until caramels are melted and mixture is well blended, about 4 to 5 minutes, stopping to stir every 2 minutes. Pour caramel over the crust and spread to within 1" of the edge. Set aside to cool.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together cream cheese and sugar until combined and smooth. Mix in sour cream and vanilla. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing just until combined after each. Stir together melted chocolate and instant espresso - pour into cheesecake batter and stir to blend. Pour batter over the caramel layer.
- Place pan into the oven and bake until the center is almost set, about 45 to 50 minutes. Remove from the oven and place pan on a wire rack to cool completely. Place into the refrigerator to chill for at least 4 hours.
- To add the topping.
- Before slicing, top with remaining nuts and drizzle with melted ounce of chocolate.