Recipe by Rita~
Can also can make Fried apple rings slice 1/8 inch thick dip into batter then fry. Try it with pears as well. Use Delicious Jonathan or Granny Smith Apples.
Top Review by Sydney Mike
Made a few slight changes when making these, but nothing big ~ I used Fuji apples (love the taste of 'em), dark raising without the rum, & only dipped the finished fritters in the sugar so that about half of each was powdered! Like I said, nothing big! However, the taste of these WAS BIG, ABSOLUTELY GREAT! These will certainly be made again & again in my kitchen! Thanks so much for sharing the recipe! [Tagged, made & reviewed as a recipenap in the Vegetarian/Vegan Recipe Swap 16]
- 2 apples, peeled, diced and patted thoroughly dry with paper towels
- 1⁄4 cup raisins, soaked in rum (optional)
- 1 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 1⁄3-1⁄2 cup milk (enough to make a thick pancake mixture) or 1⁄3-1⁄2 cup apple cider (enough to make a thick pancake mixture)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Crisco or oil
- powdered sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil to 350 degrees enough to deep fry the fritters.
- Mix dry ingredients of the batter. Toss the dried apples and raisins if using to batter.
- Mix wet ingredients together add to dry ingredients.
- Carefully drop spoonfuls into oil.
- Pressing to flatten.
- A flattened shape helps the interior cook through.
- Fry till golden brown 3-5 minutes.
- Roll into powdered sugar.
- Serve with a scoop of your favorite ice cream.