Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is the recipe that Lance Armstrong's mom used for the banana bread she fed him while he was growing up and racing. It's from her book No Mountain High Enough. As she describes this bread, "It is not just good, it's WAY good. It's forget your middle name good."
- 118.29 ml butter, softened
- 354.88 ml sugar
- 2 eggs
- 236.59 ml buttermilk (preferably not lowfat)
- 7.39 ml baking soda
- 473.18 ml flour
- 2 mashed ripe bananas
- 2.46 ml salt
- 118.29 ml chopped nuts (walnuts or pecans)
- 4.92 ml vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream butter, sugar, eggs, bananas and vanilla together into a lovely, ooey-gooey mess.
- Mix the buttermilk and soda together and add to the sweet, creamy banana mess.
- Gradually add the flour and salt and mix well.
- Add chopped nuts.
- Pour into a greased and floured loaf pan and bake for one hour or until center is cooked.