Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is the recipe that Lance Armstrong's mom used for the banana bread she fed him while he was growing up and racing. It's from her book No Mountain High Enough. As she describes this bread, "It is not just good, it's WAY good. It's forget your middle name good."
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk (preferably not lowfat)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 cups flour
- 2 mashed ripe bananas
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup chopped nuts (walnuts or pecans)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream butter, sugar, eggs, bananas and vanilla together into a lovely, ooey-gooey mess.
- Mix the buttermilk and soda together and add to the sweet, creamy banana mess.
- Gradually add the flour and salt and mix well.
- Add chopped nuts.
- Pour into a greased and floured loaf pan and bake for one hour or until center is cooked.