Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 hrs
As simple as it gets. These treats will have your dogs doing backflips! If you can't find pre-sliced liver, have the butcher slice it for you. You could also slice it yourself when it's partially frozen.
- Cut liver into 1/2 inch cubes. This is easier to do if the liver is partially frozen first.
- Sprinkle lightly with garlic powder.
- Cover a baking sheet with foil and spray the foil well with baking oil spray (such as Pam.).
- Place liver cubes on tray in a single layer. Try to separate the cubes as much as possible.
- Place tray in a slow oven (about 200 degrees) for two hours.
- After two hours, remove the tray, let the liver cool slightly, and turn the cubes. This usually means peeling them from the foil. I usually prepare a second tray with foil and spray to transfer them to as I peel them off, although this is not necessary.
- Reduce oven heat as low as it will go (150 degrees on my oven). Put liver back into oven and leave it in overnight. The idea is to dry the cubes thoroughly without overcooking them. If your oven temp doesn't go below 200 or so, just crack the oven door a bit.
- When they are dry & hard, let them cool completely, and store at room temp in an airtight container.