Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
This tangy tomato soup is flavorful and creamy without any cream. Top with some homemade whole-wheat croûtons for added texture.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 green apple, peeled, cored, and chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 2 lbs diced tomatoes, fresh or canned
- 1 cup white beans
- 1⁄2 cup dry sherry
- 1 cup low-fat chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- Saute the onion, carrots, celery, and green apple in olive oil in a large pot over medium heat until onions translucent and carrots tender. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add tomatoes, beans, sherry, chicken broth, and water. Bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes. Taste for flavor and add more salt or sherry if desired.
- Using a hand blender, puree soup until smooth.
- Taste for seasoning and adjust thickness by adding water if desired. (Can also use stand blender but make sure to cool soup first so it does not explode in blender.).