Recipe by littlemafia
This is my favorite barley soup. I prefer to make it with oats, but it can be done with barley as well, just it takes longer to cook it. According to your taste, add more or less of anything. This is the way we like it. It's suppose to be thick.
Top Review by Maryland Jim
I really like this soup. But I did encounter a problem. I used barley and after the prescribed time for cooking, the barley still wasn't done!! I added another cup of chicken stock and let it cook for another 15 minutes and we finally got the barley to the right consistency. But the flavor is just fantastic. I will be making this again and I might try it with the oats.Oh and the limes are a must! Made for ZWT6 Voracious Vagabonds.
- 1 cup oats
- 4 -6 cups water (depends how thick you like it)
- 2 onions, grated
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1 potato, grated
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 dried limes (omit if not avalable)
- lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- Put water, onions,grated carrot and potato in a pot and bring to a boil.
- Add turmeric, tomato paste, chicken cubes,dried limes, salt and pepper.Pierce the dried limes so they release the flavor.
- Boil for 10 minutes.
- Add the oats and stir often.
- Boil for another 15 minutes and just before finishing add lemon juice and parsley.