Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is my favorite barley soup. I prefer to make it with oats, but it can be done with barley as well, just it takes longer to cook it. According to your taste, add more or less of anything. This is the way we like it. It's suppose to be thick.
- 1 cup oats
- 4 -6 cups water (depends how thick you like it)
- 2 onions, grated
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1 potato, grated
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 dried limes (omit if not avalable)
- lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- Put water, onions,grated carrot and potato in a pot and bring to a boil.
- Add turmeric, tomato paste, chicken cubes,dried limes, salt and pepper.Pierce the dried limes so they release the flavor.
- Boil for 10 minutes.
- Add the oats and stir often.
- Boil for another 15 minutes and just before finishing add lemon juice and parsley.
I really like this soup. But I did encounter a problem. I used barley and after the prescribed time for cooking, the barley still wasn't done!! I added another cup of chicken stock and let it cook for another 15 minutes and we finally got the barley to the right consistency. But the flavor is just fantastic. I will be making this again and I might try it with the oats.Oh and the limes are a must! Made for ZWT6 Voracious Vagabonds.
Oh, yum, yum, yum!!!! I made this soup for lunch today on a cold and snowy day and it was perfect! Very thick (even using the 6 cups of stock), hearty and flavourful! I used oats as stated, which made for a great flavour and texture! The veggies all went really well together. I had to leave out the lemon juice and tomato paste as Im allergic to those, but still this soup was bursting with flavour! Ill certainly make it often again! :) THANKS SO MUCH for sharing it here with us, little! Made and reviewed for Veggie Swap #18 January 2010.
A nice thick barley soup. Made as written using pearl barley, started with 4 cups of water but had to add an additional two cups and still had a nice thick soup. Also made with out dried limes as the recipe said to omit if not available. Did use the lemon juice which help off set the turmeric and gave the soup very slight acidic under tone. Thanks so much for the post.