1 hr 15 mins
Lovage is the secret to a good Romanian sour soup. Celery leaves are an OK substitution but it's not exactly the same thing. I grow my own lovage leaves in a flower pot. If sauerkraut juice is not available season the soup with lemon juice and make up the amount with water. Traditionally, borsh is added to make the soup sour,which is fermented wheat bran. Cooking time depends on how quick the meat is boiling.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Bring to boil the beef cut into medium sized pieces together with water and salt.
- 2Remove the scum several times, then add some salt.
- 3Clean and chop or grate the veggies and add them to the soup.
- 4Later add the tomatoes . Let it boil for another 10 - 15 minute.
- 5Separately boil the pickled cabbage juice then add it to beef soup.
- 6Add the noodles.
- 7Boil the sour soup for another few minutes, add the tomato paste, put salt and lemon juice to taste.
- 8When is cooked, add parsley and lovage leaves.
Browse Our Top European Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All European Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Littlemafia's Romanian Beef Sour Soup
Serving Size: 1 (391 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 155.1
- Calories from Fat 21
- Total Fat 2.4 g
- Saturated Fat 0.8 g
- Cholesterol 36.2 mg
- Sodium 75.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.0 g
- Sugars 3.7 g
- Protein 15.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: