Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Lovage is the secret to a good Romanian sour soup. Celery leaves are an OK substitution but it's not exactly the same thing. I grow my own lovage leaves in a flower pot. If sauerkraut juice is not available season the soup with lemon juice and make up the amount with water. Traditionally, borsh is added to make the soup sour,which is fermented wheat bran. Cooking time depends on how quick the meat is boiling.
- Bring to boil the beef cut into medium sized pieces together with water and salt.
- Remove the scum several times, then add some salt.
- Clean and chop or grate the veggies and add them to the soup.
- Later add the tomatoes . Let it boil for another 10 - 15 minute.
- Separately boil the pickled cabbage juice then add it to beef soup.
- Add the noodles.
- Boil the sour soup for another few minutes, add the tomato paste, put salt and lemon juice to taste.
- When is cooked, add parsley and lovage leaves.