Prep 5 mins
Cook 12 mins
My daughter loves cheese but to avoid giving her too much like most of the prepackaged mac and cheeses have, I can control how much she gets. I think this recipe has just the right amount, and it is a good way to sneak in other veggies if your child doesnt like them yet. My daughter loves broccoli and carrots but if you need to hide them for your child; use an orange cheddar cheese which may camouflage them a bit. This is a good base recipe to play with and make it work for you by adding or changing what fits for your child. We always whip this up together so measurements are an estimate. I also use organic foods for her but conventional can work too. Note that this will not be an overly gooey mac and cheese; just enough to give it flavor.
- 1 cup organic wheat pasta (i find smaller sized work better than spaghetti)
- 1⁄4 cup organic carrot, shredded very fine
- 1⁄4 cup broccoli, tips chopped very fine
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄8 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄2 cup shredded organic monterey jack cheese or 1⁄2 cup choice cheese
- Boil pasta according to package directions.
- Drain and place back into boiling pot.
- Leave burner on low-med.
- Do not rinse.
- Add olive oil and salt to noodles and stir to cover noodles.
- Add carrots and broccoli and stir.
- Add cheese.
- Stir until melted over low-med heat.
I am so glad I get to be the first to review this recipe because it is a definite winner! What an excellent way to get veggies into the kids. My boys are very, very picky and they announced it a keeper. I was worried the olive oil might give it a wangy taste, but it didn't. I cooked the recipe exactly as shown here with no changes and my kids wanted seconds. Thanks for such a great recipe!