Little Tavern Shops is a defunct chain of hamburger restaurants in Baltimore, Maryland, and Washington, D.C that appears to be on the cusp of a revival. The slogan of the chain was "Buy 'em by the bag", and its signs promised "Cold drinks * Good Coffee". The stores were quite small and could accommodate only a few seated customers, while most business was take-out. This recipe is posted in response to a HUGE forum discussion. If you wish to make larger patties, roll the meat into 1.7 ounce meatballs and cook as directed.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 ounces hamburger, rolled into 1-ounce balls
- 4 teaspoons dehydrated onion, reconstituted in warm water
- salt and pepper, to taste
- hamburger dills, slices
- 8 dinner rolls, sliced
- 1Place meat balls in a hot pan or flat-top griddle.
- 2Add a good pinch of the onions to the top of each meat ball (about 1/2 teaspoon each).
- 3Smash each meat ball flat with a spatula and cook for a minute or so.
- 4Flip each burger, add salt and pepper to taste.
- 5If you wish, toast/fry the split rolls in the burger grease as the meat is cooking (this is optional).
- 6Remove rolls from grill and place a slice of pickle on each one.
- 7Once the burgers are cooked (they are very small, it won't take any time at all) place one on each roll.
- 8At the restaurant, the burgers were put in a steamer drawer to hold until sale. You may have to come up with some sort of steaming device. Try paper towels or "Handiwipe" towels, soaked in water (and squeezed out to "damp"), to cover the burgers while in the steamer drawer.
- 9Serve with condiments of your choice.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Little Tavern Shops Hamburgers
Serving Size: 1 (436 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 153.5
- Calories from Fat 53
- Total Fat 5.9 g
- Saturated Fat 2.0 g
- Cholesterol 26.7 mg
- Sodium 159.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 1.7 g
- Protein 10.7 g