Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
Delightful and EASY little smoked salmon and cucumber appetisers, and healthy too, with NO pastry! These are a breeze to make but they tick all the taste boxes, as well as being elegant. Cucumbers do vary in size, and I have suggested a medium cucumber, which is about 10" to 12" long.........however, any size will do!! Adjust the crème fraiche to how many cups you yield from a cucumber, I managed to make 30 cups and used 10 tablespoons of crème fraîche for that amount, 1 teaspoon per cup. Serve these with cocktails and pre-dinner drinks, or as part of a buffet. The cucumber cups and crème fraîche can be prepared beforehand, but these should only be assembled 1 hour before serving (at the most) and covered in cling film to ensure the smoked salmon does not dry out. Allow 2 to 4 per person, depending on what else is served.
- 1 medium cucumber, cut into 1-inch slices
- 147.89 ml creme fraiche
- zest of one large lemon
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste (about 2 teaspoons)
- 225 g smoked salmon (8 ozs)
- salt (optional)
- lemon slice, to garnish (optional)
- dill (optional) or parsley, to garnish (optional)
- Cut the cucumber into 1 1/2 inch slices, and carefully hollow out the centre (with any seeds) with a pointed teaspoon, so you are left with a shallow hollow.
- Mix the lemon zest and black pepper with the crème fraiche and adjust seasoning to taste, adding the black pepper bit by bit to ensure a favourable taste! (We like ours quite peppery!) I have not suggested salt as the smoked salmon is salty, but do add salt to taste if you wish.
- Spoon a little seasoned crème fraiche into each cucumber cup, about 1 teaspoon per cup.
- Cut the smoked salmon into 6-inch long strips and about 1/2 inch wide, and curl them around to make a little circle, then place the circle of smoked salmon on top of the crème fraiche.
- Garnish with lemon slices if you wish, or with dill or parsley. Makes about 30 according to size of cucumber.
- You can prepare the cucumber cups and crème fraiche several hours beforehand- cover them and store them in the fridge; assemble them just before you are ready to serve them.
Even though I didn't have the correct type of smoked salmon, these were delicious! I will have them again, just so I can do the salmon flowers! The pepper is very integral to the overall taste, here, so don't stint! The cucumber cools it down, nicely. Thnx for posting, hon! Made for KcK's Forum.
This was delicious! I featured this app, your french radishes, and your pain d'epices (for dessert) at a french-themed dinner party. I wanted light appetizers, since Ina Garten's Boeuf Bourguignon was my main dish. Guests loved the flavors, and really liked the contrast between the creme fraiche and the smoky salmon; the cool crunch of cucumber was refreshing. I do wish that I'd put more pepper in the creme fraiche, and a bit of salt, but I will do that next time - and there will definitely be a next time. Thank you for posting such a lovely appetizer recipe, French Tart!
What a treat with a Mart Mart- I used lite garden/veggie cream cheese instead of the Creme Fraiche, lots of fresh ground pepper and Lovely Lox. Will do again for sure Thanks FT