Recipe by SusieQusie
Using bread slices as a crust, these little pies are quick to make and just right for kid-sized meals. You can use leftover mashed potatoes and veggies to make this a really thrifty meal. Feel free to spice them up to suit your tastes.
- 6 slices bread
- cooking spray
- 1⁄2 lb lean ground beef
- 1 cup frozen mixed vegetables, thawed & drained or 1 cup canned mixed vegetables, drained
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon steak seasoning (or spice or herbs of choice)
- 1⁄2 cup tomato sauce
- 1 1⁄2 cups mashed potatoes (fresh made, leftover or made from instant)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chopped fresh dill (or 1/2 teaspoon dried dillweed)
- 1⁄2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Lightly spray 6 large custard cups or oven-safe bowls with cooking spray.
- Place a bread slice in each bowl, lightly pressing the bread down into the cup. Lightly spray tops of bread.
- Place custard cups on a baking sheet and bake, uncovered, for 8 to 10 minutes, or until bread is toasted. Place baking sheet on a cooling rack; reserve.
- Cook ground beef in a large skillet over medium-high heat for 8 to 10 minutes, or until no longer pink in the center, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in mixed vegetables, garlic, and steak seasoning, and cook for 3 to 4 minutes, or until mixture is warmed through, stirring occasionally. Stir in tomato sauce and remove from heat.
- Spoon meat mixture into the reserved prepared bread cups.
- In a medium bowl stir together the mashed potatoes and fresh dill.
- Spoon potatoes over the meat mixture, sprinkle a small amount of cheese over each potato mound, and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until mixture is warmed through and cheese is melted.