1 hr 40 mins
1 hr 20 mins
Sassy Syrah's Note:
I made this tonight, and it is perfect autumn fare. I am wondering if any of you can convince your kiddies to eat them on Halloween, as it seems like you could adapt it for that. Perhaps you could pretend that the beans were rats kidneys or something equally disgusting. You could easily use chickpeas or any other white beans if you wanted. This is based on a recipe I found in Super Food Ideas, an Australian publication.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 golden nugget pumpkin
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil or 1 tablespoon olive oil flavored cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 large leeks or 1 small leek
- 1 parsnip
- 1 carrot
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 190 ml vegetable stock
- 220 g cannellini beans
- 1 teaspoon za'atar spice mix (or use some thyme, sesame seeds and salt)
- 4 tablespoons chopped walnuts
- 2 tablespoons soft goat cheese
- 1Preheat your oven to 200C.
- 2Cut a lid from the pumpkins.
- 3Remove the seeds from the pumpkins with a spoon.
- 4Spray the inside of the pumpkins with olive oil spray or brush with the oil.
- 6Place on a baking tray with the lids and bake for 30 minutes.
- 7Remove lids from tray, and turn pumpkins over.
- 8Bake shells for an additional 30 minutes.
- 9Whilst this is happening, prepare the stew.
- 10Slice the leek thinly.
- 11Chop the carrot and parsnip into about a 1cm dice.
- 12Chop garlic roughly.
- 13Melt the butter over a medium heat and add the leek, carrot, parsnip and garlic.
- 14Cover and lower heat, cooking for 5 minutes.
- 15Add flour to vegetables and cook until the flour cannot be seen.
- 16Add the stock slowly, stirring the whole time over a low heat until the liquid thickens.
- 17Add the beans and Zaatar, stirring until heated through.
- 18Remove from heat and stir in chopped walnuts and goats cheese.
- 19Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- 20Spoon the mixture into pumpkin shells.
- 21Top with lids and bake at 200C for 20 minutes.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Little Pumpkins Stuffed With a Bean Stew
Serving Size: 1 (251 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 387.0
- Calories from Fat 207
- Total Fat 23.0 g
- Saturated Fat 5.7 g
- Cholesterol 15.2 mg
- Sodium 561.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.0 g
- Sugars 5.7 g
- Protein 12.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
za'atar spice mix