Prep3 hrs 10 mins
Tasty little morsels from a 1963 Peter Pan Peanut Butter Cook Book -- plan a special party just to serve these oh-so-good sweets!! NOTE: Prep time includes 2-3 hour chill time! Please note lower baking temperature if your muffin pan is dark -- my photo shows that my tarts baked for Labor Day are a little overcooked! Next time I'll bake them at the lower temperature --
- 1⁄3 cup butter (equals 5 tablespoons, at room temperature)
- 1 (3 ounce) package cream cheese (at room temperature)
- 1 cup flour (sifted)
- 1⁄2 cup crunchy peanut butter
- 1 egg (slightly beaten)
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar (firmly packed)
- 1⁄4 cup dark corn syrup
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon butter (melted)
- Pastry directions:.
- Combine softened butter and cream cheese and cut-in flour for pastry. Knead dough slightly and shape into a ball.
- Refrigerate dough for 2-3 hours until well chilled, for easier handling. Or stick the dough in the freezer to cut down on the chill time!
- Divide well chilled dough into 24 small balls and press into mini muffin pans or tart shells.
- Filling directions:.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees or to 350 degrees for dark pans.
- Blend peanut butter and beaten egg ~ combine with all other ingredients.
- Pour into pastry-lined pans, filling about 3/4 full.
- Bake at 375 degrees, or 350 degrees if pan is dark, for about 16-18 minutes, until filling is set and pastry is nicely browned.
- When cool sprinkle filling with confectioner’s sugar.
- Makes 24 tarts.