Recipe by Heli Baker
This is a blast from the past for me. These cookies disappeared at light speed when I was growing up, and my kids make them disappear just as fast. (Add the full grated rind to the mix, and about half of another one for the icing.)
- 2 3⁄4 cups flour
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 cup shortening (or margarine)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 oranges, juice and rind of, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix flour, sugar, baking powder, salt & shortening (should resemble pastry mixture).
- Add orange rind & mix.
- Add beaten egg & enough orange juice to make a soft & sticky biscuit like dough.
- Drop from a teaspoon onto nonstick cookie sheet & bake @ 375°F for 10-12 minutes.
- Ice while still warm with icing sugar, orange juice & a little orange rind.