Recipe by Pietro
These delicious small cakes are very easy to make and really, really tasty! You can add a variety of flavours and toppings to create your own style of friands.
- 6 egg whites
- 185 g butter
- 1 cup almond meal
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 1⁄2 cup plain flour
- 1 tablespoon lime rind
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 30 whole blanched almonds
- 30 small cupcakes, pans
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees celsius.
- Grease small cupcake pan.
- Place egg whites in a medium bowl and whisk lightly until combined.
- Add melted butter, ground almond meal, sifted icing sugar and flour.
- Add finely grated lime rind and lime juice.
- Whisk mixture until just combined.
- Divide mixture among prepared pans.
- Top with one almond per cake.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to rest for 5 minutes.
- Turn cakes onto a wire rack to cool.
- When cool, dust with sifted icing sugar.
- Lemon rind and lemon juice.
- Alternatively,any citrus can be used. A glaze of melted marmalade can be brushed on cooked friands whilst cooling.
- Before baking, friands can be topped with rhubard, blueberries or raspberries.
- Don't be afraid to experiment!
- Friands are best eaten on the day they are made.