Recipe by Acerast
I have not tried these yet. They are from the "Martha Stewart Living Cookbook". The instructions are a bit long but this is a novel recipe in that the lemons are the serving "dishes".
- 8 large lemons
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- confectioners' sugar, for dusting
Directions See How It's Made
- Place one oven rack in the lower third of the oven and preheat the oven to 350°F.
- The lemons will be your serving dishes so prepare them as follows: trim the stem end from a lemon so that the fruit sits level.
- Cut the top end one-third of the way down, making sure the cut is parallel with the bottom; reserve the top. Repeat with all the lemons.
- Hold a lemon above a strainer set over a heat-proof bowl, and scoop out the pulp.
- Squeeze and reserve the juice; discard the pulp. Repeat with all the lemons.
- In a bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, combine the egg yolks, 1/4 granulated sugar, 1/4 cup reserved lemon juice, and the flour.
- Beat on medium speed until the mixture is pale yellow, about 3 minutes.
- Fill a small saucepan one-quarter full of water and heat it to a simmer over medium heat.
- Place the bowl over the simmering water, and whisk constantly until very thick, about 8 minutes.
- Remove the bowl from the heat, and return to the mixer.
- Beat on medium speed until cool, scraping down the sides several times with a rubber spatula, about 10 minutes.
- Transfer to a medium bowl, and set aside. Wash and dry the mixer bowl and attachment.
- Combine the egg whites and the remaining granulated sugar in the mixer bowl. Set a small saucepan filled with water over medium heat, and bring to a simmer.
- Place the bowl over the simmering water, and whisk until the sugar has dissolved and the mixture is warm.
- Remove from heat and return to the mixer fitted with the whisk attachments; beat on low speed until frothy.
- Gradually increase the speed until the meringue is shiny and soft peaks form, 2 to 3 minutes; do not overbeat.
- Whisk one-third of the meringue into the yolk mixture to lighten it, and whisk until smooth.
- Gently fold in the remaining meringue. Carefully fill the prepared lemon shells to just the rims.
- Transfer shells to a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake until the meringue is slightly golden and rises about 1 inch above the lemon, about 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, and transfer to serving plates.
- Dust with the confectioner's sugar, and garnish with the reserved lemon tops.
- Serve immediately.