Recipe by Realtor by day, Chef by night
I adore this little lemon pound cake. It's the perfect size when you just need enough for 2 people. The bonus is... it's quick and easy to put together. I can have this in the oven in less then 5 minutes. How great is that?!? This doubles very nicely for when you need a little more but still don't need a big dessert. When doubling, don't double the baking soda, just leave it at 1/8 teaspoon.
Top Review by Donna M.
WoW! Love this little cake! It is absolutely perfect?in size and taste! I can't believe how easy it was to mix up. I didn't even need to break out the mixer. This might be a dangerous thing, it's so fast to make and delicious!
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons buttermilk, room temp (or sour cream)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1⁄8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 large egg, room temp
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 3 tablespoons butter, room temp
- 1⁄4 teaspoon lemon zest
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350. Grease and flour pan very well. I designed this to go in a petit loaf pan that measures about 5x3x2 but you can use 2 mini Bundts, 4 cupcake cups, 2 jumbo muffin cups or whatever small pan you like. When doubled it works nicely with the 6 cup Bundt pan, a 5 inch springform, 4 mini Bundts or a 7x4x3 loaf pan.
- Whisk together flour and sugar in small mixing bowl.
- In another small bowl, whisk together buttermilk, lemon juice and baking soda. Add egg and lemon ex, gently whisk to combine.
- Add the butter and 1/2 of the buttermilk mixture to the flour mixture and mix with electric mixer until moistened. Beat on low for about 45 seconds.
- Add remaining buttermilk mixture and lemon zest and beat on medium until well blended, 30 seconds. Don't over mix or you'll ruin the texture.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake until browned well and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, about 25-30 minutes for the petit loaf pan. When doubled bake 40 minutes in the small loaf pan. Baking times vary slightly depending on which pan you use. The important thing is that the cake is browned and toothpick comes out clean when inserted in center.
- Cool in pan 10 minutes on rack. Remove from pan and cool completely.