Recipe by Lainey39
These cookies look so beautiful and delicious in the recent issue of Woman's Day. I had to save the recipe here. The sugared cranberries are optional but are a nice touch. The sugared cranberries do take a lot of time, however. You can make those ahead because they have to be refrigerated 8 hours and then must stand 2 hours after being rolled in sugar. The prep time for the sugared cranberries is not included.
Top Review by katrn70
This has been my favorite cake since I saw this recipe published in the magazine. The first time I made it, I made the 100 mini cupcakes and the sugared cranberries. I fell in love with the cake, but 100 mini cupcakes? Now I bake it in a Bundt pan and take it whenever I need to bring a desert somewhere. I always get asked for the recipe. I add additional lemon juice to the glaze and decorate the plate with lemon slices and raspberries or strawberries.
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) box lemon cake mix
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) package vanilla instant pudding mix
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1⁄4 cups reduced-fat sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 (1 lb) box confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup hot water
- 2 cups granulated sugar (optional)
- 1 1⁄2 cups cranberry juice cocktail (optional) or 1 1⁄2 cups water (optional)
- 2 cups cranberries (optional)
- granulated sugar (optional) or superfine sugar, for tossing berries in (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 325 degrees F. You'll need mini-muffin pans coated with nonstick cooking spray.
- For lemon drops: Beat all lemon drop ingredients in large bowl with mixer on medium speed several minutes until blended and smooth.
- Transfer the batter into two 1-gallon ziptop bags.
- Seal bags; cut tip off one corner of each bag and pipe batter into prepared muffin cups, filling cups slightly less than 2/3 full.
- Bake 12 minutes, or until a pick inserted in centers comes out clean.
- Remove pans to wire rack and cool 2 minutes; invert muffins onto rack (leave muffins inverted) and cool completely.
- Continue baking batches until all the batter is used up (you'll have about 100 muffins).
- For Lemon Glaze: Place a wire rack over wax paper.
- Beat ingredients in a medium bowl until smooth.
- Dip muffins in glaze to coat rounded tops and sides, letting excess glaze drip back into bowl.
- Place on rack until glaze is set.
- For sugared cranberries: In small saucepan over medium heat, bring 2 cups granulated sugar and 1 1/2 cups cranberry juice cocktail or water just to a simmer, stirring until sugar dissolves.
- Remove from heat; stir in 2 cups cranberries.
- Cover; refrigerate 8 hours or overnight.
- Drain well.
- Toss berries in superfine or regular granulated sugar until coated all over.
- Let stand on wax paper 2 hours or until dry.
- To serve: Place each lemon drop in a decorated mini-muffin liner.
- Top with sugared cranberry, if desired.
- Storage tip: Store in airtight containers with wax paper between layers at cool room temperature or in refrigerator up to 1 week, or freeze unglazed up to 3 months.