Recipe by lynnski / LA
Little Joe's was a very popular Italian restaurant located just north of the Los Angeles Civic Center. It's now closed and the space is used as a movie set. However, the popularity of this recipe lives on and, years later, is still being requested for publication in the local newspapers. I think it deserves to be immortilized at 'Zaar.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons bell peppers, minced
- 1 celery, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes, chopped
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomato puree
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon crushed dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 cup dry red wine
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a large heavy pot.
- Add onion, green pepper, celery and garlic and saute until vegetables are tender.
- Add tomatoes, tomato puree, basil, oregano,and bay leaf.
- Simmer for one hour, stirring frequently.
- Add wine, water, salt and pepper.
- Simmer one hour longer.
- If sauce is too thick, add water.
- When sauce is cooked, add Parmesan cheese and mix well.