Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Here's a wonderful and versatile hors d'oeuvres that's prepared on the grill. The mushrooms can be partly grilled and stuffed ahead of time. Simply grill to finishe cooking and heat through just before serving. Recipe found in Andrea Chesman's The Vegetarian Grill.
- 12 ounces mushrooms, trimmed
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- sea salt & fresh black pepper, to taste
- 2 garlic cloves (or more to taste)
- 1 tablespoon fresh herbs, chopped, optional (optional) or 1 teaspoon dried herbs (optional)
- 3⁄4 cup fresh breadcrumb (made from any high-quality white or whole grain bread)
- 1⁄4 cup cheese, grated (such as Parmesan or provolone)
- 2 tablespoons sherry wine or 2 tablespoons wine (your choice) or 2 tablespoons stock
- Prepare a medium-hot fire in the grill with a vegetable grill in place.
- Remove stems from mushrooms and hollow out the caps (reserve stems and trimmings).
- Brush both sides of mushroom caps with olive and sprinkle inside of caps with salt and pepper.
- Grill mushrooms, hollow side down, until partially cooked (about 5 minutes) and set aside.
- Combine reserved mushroom stems and trimmings with remaining olive oil and garlic and toss to coat well.
- Grill, tossing frequently, until lightly cooked (about 5 minutes).
- Finely chop the mushroom pieces and garlic, either by hand or with a food processor.
- Combine in medium-sized bowl with the breadcrumbs, cheese, sherry and herbs (if using).
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Stuff into the mushroom caps, mounding up the filling and pressing with your fingers to pack tightly.
- Grill stuffed mushrooms, stuffing side up, until the mushrooms are completely cooked and the cheese is melted (about 10 minutes).
- Serve hot or warm.
Very easy and quick to put together while awaiting the main dish to be grilled!
I made this wonderful recipe for an Easter weekend BBQ, the only change I made was I added in cayenne pepper, I got 12 medium size mushrooms and my family loved them, thanks for sharing Dorit!
Great little recipe! I used baby bella mushrooms, cut the recipe in half. I enjoyed it! Since I couldn't use a bbq grill, I broiled them. Thanks! Made for the Vegetarian Swap April 2011.