Recipe by English_Rose
Apples for Halloween follow the tradition of the centuries old Halloween game of trying to catch apples with your teeth from a barrel of water.Toffee apples appeared later at Halloween fairs.
- 10 apples, small
- 8 ounces black treacle (molasses)
- 4 ounces butter
- 16 ounces brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
Directions See How It's Made
- Thoroughly wash the apples then dry with kitchen paper.
- Insert a wooden stick in each, downwards through the core, to act as handles.
- Put the butter, treacle, sugar and vinegar in a pan, mix together and bring to the boil for about 20 minutes.
- Quickly dip the apples in the hot mixture and then place on a rack to set.