Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
If you are ginger fan like me - you'll love these little cakes with chunks of ginger in them. Ice with lemon icing if you wish.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup golden syrup or 1⁄2 cup honey
- 125 g butter, melted
- 3⁄4 cup boiling water
- 2 tablespoons crystallized ginger or 2 tablespoons candied ginger, minced
- Sift flour, baking powder, ginger, and cinnamon together into a bowl.
- Stir in sugar.
- Beat eggs.
- golden syrup and butter together in a seperate bowl.
- Blend into dry ingredients.
- Stir through water and ginger.
- Spoon mixture in to greased and paper lined cupcake tins or muffin cups.
- Bake in a moderate oven for 20- 25 minutes or until cakes are golden and a skewer comes out clean and dry.
- Allow to cool in tins for 5 minutes, turn onto wire rack to cool further.
- Spead cakes with lemon icing if desired when completely cooled.
This recipe made some nice little cakes that are very moist owing to the honey in them. I used regular salted butter, and did not add any more salt. The recipe does not call for salt, but on eating the cakes, I felt that something - probably a little salt - was missing. This may just be me, of course. They were very quick and easy to make. Thank you for sharing this recipe.