Wendy Hamlett's Note:
These are my variation of Dutch Letters. It's recommended that you use pure almond paste that contains only almond & sugar rather than almond filling that contains corn syrup or sucrose.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 2 tablespoons ice water (just the water not the ice)
- 1Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- 2For Pastry Crust.
- 3Whisk together the flour and salt.
- 4Cut butter into pats and add to flour mixture.
- 5Using a pastry blender or your fingers, cut the butter into the flour mixture until the mixture is mealy with pea-sized lumps.
- 6Add the ice water and knead the dough slightly to bring it together and form a ball.
- 7Chill dough for 30 minutes.
- 9For Filling.
- 10Combine the almond paste and sugar (it will be very stiff so you will have to mix it with your fingers); add the egg and mix until well-combined.
- 12To Make Tarts.
- 13Pull off enough dough to make a 1/2 to 3/4-inch ball.
- 14Place ball of dough into cup of non-stick or lightly greased muffin/tart pan (with 1 to 1 1/2-inch sized cups).
- 15Using a tart shaper (dipped in flour to prevent sticking) press into center of ball, flattening the bottom and forcing dough up sides of muffin cup. If you don't have a tart shaper use your thumb or other rounded tool instead.
- 16Be careful not to make dough too thin on bottom. Fill in any accidental thin spots with small pieces of dough pressed into place.
- 17Repeat for remaining muffin cups.
- 18Return any remaining dough to refrigerator until ready to make next batch to keep it from getting to soft.
- 19Place almond filling in pastry bag or plastic bag with a hole cut in one corner and pipe filling into pastry cups, filling them up about 3/4 of the way full (filling with puff up some during baking).
- 20Bake 15-20 minutes, or until crust is lightly browned.
- 21Let cool in pan before removing tarts.
- 22If desired, spinkle tops with powdered sugar after cool.
Browse Our Top Tarts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Little Dutch Tarts
Serving Size: 1 (25 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 109.8
- Calories from Fat 61
- Total Fat 6.8 g
- Saturated Fat 2.7 g
- Cholesterol 18.9 mg
- Sodium 43.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 5.7 g
- Protein 1.7 g