1/1 Photo of Little Crawfish Pies
This recipe is basically by Emeril Lagasse. I like it because I can fix it in the oven although he deep fried them. But he gave instructions for oven. Also, there is a recipe for preparing the pastry from scratch or using premade puff pastry. I opted for the puff pastry in the oven. Very tasty and pretty to look at.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 3/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 1/2 lbs peeled crawfish tails (can be purchased frozen)
- 1/2 cup green onions (green part only) or 1/2 cup scallion, chopped (green part only)
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup fine dry breadcrumb
- 20 puff pastry, squares (3-4 inch square cut from large sheets)
- 1 egg, for egg wash
- 2 tablespoons milk, for egg wash
- creole seasoning (to garnish) or cajun seasoning (to garnish)
ALTERNATE PASTRY (make your own)
- 1Heat olive oil over medium heat in large pan.
- 2Add onions, bell pepper, salt, cayenne.
- 3Cook for 2 minutes, stirring a few times.
- 4Add crawfish and stir cook for 2 minutes.
- 5Add green onions, garlic, and parsley and stir cook for 1 minute.
- 6Pour mixture into medium-size bowl and let cool for about 3 minutes.
- 7Add the egg and breadcrumbs and mix well.
- 8Set aside.
- 9DIRECTIONS FOR PUFF PASTRY IN OVEN:.
- 10Preheat oven to 375°F.
- 11mix egg and milk well for egg wash.
- 12Place 2 tablespoons of crawfish mixture on each pastry.
- 13Seal with egg wash and brush top with egg wash.
- 14Bake in oven for 15 minutes.
- 15Sprinkle lightly with Creole or Cajun seasoning.
- 16Serve hot.
- 17DIRECTIONS FOR MAKING PASTRY AND DEEP FRYING:.
- 18Preheat fryer.
- 19Sift flour, salt, baking powder into a large mixing bowl.
- 20Cut in shortening with pastry blender or 2 knives, until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- 21In small bowl, beat the egg with the milk.
- 22Slowly add egg mixture to flour mixture, to a thick dough.
- 23Divide dough into 12 equal portions.
- 24On lightly floured surface, roll out each dough piece into a thin round about 5 inches in diameter.
- 25Put about 1/4 cup crawfish mixture in center of each.
- 26Fold the dough over and crimp edges with fork.
- 27Deep fry 2 or 3 at a time till golden brown.
- 28Drain on paper towels.
- 29Sprinkle with Creole or Cajun seasoning.
- 30Serve hot.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Little Crawfish Pies
Serving Size: 1 (155 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 610.8
- Calories from Fat 232
- Total Fat 25.8 g
- Saturated Fat 6.6 g
- Cholesterol 232.0 mg
- Sodium 1240.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 63.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.0 g
- Sugars 2.4 g
- Protein 29.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: