Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
These have the perfect amount of chocolate flavor and are light in your mouh! I make them without the walnuts though due to an allergy but I'm sure those only add to the flavor. Found these in a cookbook I bought when I was browsing at Borders.
- 4 egg whites
- 10 ounces powdered sugar
- 4 ounces cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee
- 1 tablespoon water
- 4 ounces finely chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper; grease the paper.
- With an electric mixer, beat the egg whites until frothy.
- Sift the sugar, cocoa, flour and coffee into the whites.
- Add the water and continue beating on low speed to blend, then on high for a few minutes until the mixture thickens.
- With a rubber spatula, fold in the walnuts.
- Place generous spoonfuls of the mixture 1 inch apart on the baking sheets.
- Bake until firm, about 12-15 minutes, and cracked on top but soft on the inside.
- The softness really makes them great!
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
Actually, these turned out 1-star for me, but it might be my mistake. I think I beat the egg whites too long? They came out flat, and because I didn't know how long to cook them (no approx. time given), they burned, even though I tried to keep a close eye on them. They never cracked, probably because they were so flat. *sigh*