Recipe by French Tart
Just in time for Chinese New Year! My take on classic Spring Rolls, filled with minced chicken and crisp Chinese seasoned vegetables. I decided to shape these into little square bundles (As I remember seeing in the Far East on Laundry Days), rather than the usual elongated rolls - you can then tie the bundles with fresh chives blades if you have any, although that is not necessary, just a nice idea for a classy presentation! The RSC ingredients I have used in this recipe are: Spring roll wrappers, fresh cilantro leaves, soy sauce, chicken breast, broccoli slaw mix, fresh cucumbers and peanut butter. I hope you have as much fun as I did when I made these!
Top Review by Queen Dana
These were very good. I used egg roll wraps instead of spring roll wrappers as well. I strongly advise using natural peanut butter instead of popular brands that are loaded with sugar. I love my sugary peanut butter but it's too sweet for this recipe.
Chinese Laundry Bundles
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, minced
- 6 ounces broccoli slaw mix
- 2 tablespoons crunchy peanut butter
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger or 1 inch piece of minced and peeled fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 16 spring roll wrappers
- 16 chives, long fresh blades (optional)
- 1 egg white, beaten
- peanut oil, for stir -frying
- vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- soy sauce, to taste
- 4 green onions, shredded
- 1⁄2 fresh cucumber, cut into julienne strips
- fresh cilantro leaves
Directions See How It's Made
- Mince or finely chop your chicken breasts. (I use a food processor and pulse until it is finely minced; be careful you do NOT over process and puree the chicken!).
- If the broccoli florets in the broccoli slaw are very large, break them down into very small pieces.
- Prepare the fresh cucumber and onion garnish - combine the shredded green onions with the cucumber strips in a serving bowl with a little soy sauce.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the broccoli slaw, peanut butter, soy sauce, sesame oil, ginger and cilantro leaves. Mix them together and allow to infuse for about 10 minutes. In another small bowl, add a little soy sauce to the minced chicken breasts.
- Pre-heat the vegetable oil for deep-frying to 180 degrees C or 360 degrees F while preparing the spring rolls.
- Heat a wok over medium high to high heat. Add 1 tablespoon of peanut oil. When the oil is hot, add the minced chicken and stir-fry for 2 to 3 minutes, then add the seasoned vegetable mix, and cook for a further 1 to 2 minutes stirring vigorously all the time to toss the chicken and vegetables around in the wok.
- Lay a spring roll wrapper in front of you so that it forms a diamond shape. Use your index finger to wet all the edges with the beaten egg white. Place approximately 2 tablespoons of filling in the middle. Bring the two of the sides up into the middle then lift up the other two sides to form a bundle, making sure that the wrapper overlaps to make a tight seal. (If the wrappers are too small, use the traditional roll way - Place approximately 2 tablespoons of filling near the bottom. Roll over once, tuck in the sides, and then continue rolling. Seal the top.) At this stage, you can tie the blades of fresh chives around the bundles/rolls if you are using them.
- Deep-fry the bundles/rolls in 3 to 4 batches, cooking until they are golden brown and crispy (about 3 minutes). Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
- Arrange them on a serving platter, sprinkle with fresh cilantro and serve with the cucumber ad green onion garnish.