Prep 24 hrs
Cook 6 hrs
This is a very flavorful marinade for beef or game jerky. It's a nice blend of red wine, soy sauce, sugar and salt, with a pepper-onion-garlic zip. I use flank steak sliced about 1/4 inch thick and do the drying in my oven, but if you have a smoker or dehydrator, knock yourself out!
- 2 lbs lean beef or 2 lbs game, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup red wine
- 1⁄4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- Place all ingredients in a plastic zipper bag and refrigerate overnight.
- The next day, if using your oven to dry, cover your oven racks with foil and preheat oven to 180 degrees F.
- Transfer drained meat to baking racks and dry for approximately 6 hours; depending on how thick the meat slices are, drying could take between 5 and 7 hours.
- Be sure to place a couple of potholders in the oven door to keep it slightly ajar so moisture can escape and the meat can dry more thoroughly.
I've already made jerky twice using your recipe and both times it was great. My husband and his friends just love it. I follow the recipe exactly except that I add about 3 drops of liquid smoke. Perfect. Thanks for posting.
I doubled this recipe and used it on about 6 lbs. of sliced goose breast. It is awesome! My daughter is the jerky queen, and although she is not big on goose meat, she gave it her highest seal of approval. Thanks Angie...I know I can never go wrong with one of your recipes!