Recipe by SweetsLady
An Italian bread delight! Great with a bowl of hot soup! Made for RSC #11.
Top Review by Rice & Beans
I have made this many times now. Perfect every time. The only one time it didn't come out as perfect was a problem of the kind of spinach I used. It still retained a lot of water after being squeezed and the filling turned out way too moist. It is a very nice and great recipe. Thank you for sharing.
- 1 cup warm water (110 degrees)
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons italian seasoning
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 1 (9 ounce) package fresh spinach, steamed and squeezed dry
- 1⁄4 cup sun-dried tomato packed in oil, drained and chopped
- 1⁄3 cup asiago cheese, finely grated
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- In large bowl, dissolve the sugar in the warm water. Stir in the yeast. Let yeast proof until becomes creamy foam (about 10 minutes).
- Mix in 1 t. salt, 2 T. oil, and Italian seasoning. Mix in flour, one cup at a time. Knead dough on lightly floured surface until smooth. Place in well-oiled bowl, and turn dough to coat. Cover with cloth and allow to rise until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- While dough is rising, put 1 T. olive oil in medium frying pan and heat on medium. Add in shallots and garlic cloves and cook until soft. Add in spinach and tomatoes; stir. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Lightly grease 9x5 loaf pan.
- After dough has risen, punch down and allow to rest for 10 minutes.
- Put dough on lightly floured counter and roll into 14x9 inch rectangle. Spread with spinach mixture.
- Starting with short end, roll up jelly roll style tightly or you will have big gaps in the circles. Pinch ends together and place rolled side down in pan. Cover with towel and allow to rise again until doubled (1 hour). Sprinkle Asiago on top before placing in oven.
- Bake in 350 degree oven for 45 minutes or until hollow when tapped. At 30 minutes cover top with aluminum foil to prevent excessive browning.
- Melt butter in microwave for 20-30 seconds. Stir in garlic powder and 1/8 tsp salt. When bread comes out of oven, brush with garlic butter mixture. Allow to cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to wire rack.