Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Very rich with many eggs and rye bread crumbs to make this a different kind of cake. Sweetened cranberries or fruit preserves may be used if lingonberries can't be found.
- 10 eggs, separated
- 10 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 10 tablespoons very dark rye breadcrumbs (dried and ground)
- milk, to cover
- 2 tablespoons potato flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 lb butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (or 1 stick vanilla bean)
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 cups lingonberries (cranberries or fruit preserves may be substituted)
- 1 1⁄2-3 fluid ounces rum or 1 1⁄2-3 fluid ounces brandy
- fruit juice (or compote)
- TO MAKE THE CAKE: Cream together egg yolks and sugar until fluffy. Add spices.
- On 5 tablespoons of the bread crumbs pour enough milk to cover. Soak 5 minutes.
- Add, with remaining 5 tablespoons crumbs, to the yolk mixture. Beat well.
- Add sifted potato flour and baking powder.
- Gently FOLD in the stiffly beaten egg whites.
- Pour into 10 inch round cake or torte pan lined with greased paper.
- Bake at 350°F for 30 minutes to 45 minutes. Cool.
- Cut into 3 layers.
- Put together with filling.
- FOR THE FILLING: If using vanilla bean, scald milk with vanilla bean. COOL.
- Remove vanilla bean).
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add vanilla (if using extract).
- Add milk, spoonful at a time, and yolks one at a time, while continuing to beat.
- Place bottom layer of cake on plate.
- Sprinkle generously with compote (or fruit) juice to which 1 or 2 jiggers of rum or brandy have been added.
- Spread with filling.
- Place second layer on top of filling.
- Sprinkle with juice, spread with cooked and sweetened lingonberries (cranberries or fruit preserves may be substituted).
- Cover with third layer, sprinkle with juice, spread with filling.
- Decorate with maraschino cherries or candied fruit.
- Keep in refrigerator.
- Popular Lithuanian Recipes. Josephine J. Dauzvardis.