Recipe by Zvaigzduole
This is very easy and fast soup, especially when u wanna eat or there is so hot outside that u don't wanna eat any hot meal. So try it and u will be surprised;) By the way, this soup is straight from Europe, Lithuania country:)
Top Review by duonyte
I love saltibarsciai, too, nothing better on a hot summer day. This was not quite enough buttermilk for me, I used closer to a quart, I would say. Also, I do not add the eggs to the bowl, but only to individual servings, and I chop mine up. (If you make more than you can use at a sitting, the eggs will go funky.) Also, the potatoes I serve on the side, not mixed in. Usually I just serve plain boiled potatoes, but mashed potatoes are good, too. If you ever have roasted fresh beets lying around, try it with those.
- 1 (8 ounce) bottle buttermilk
- 1 (20 ounce) can beetroots (beetroot,water and salt, make sure there is no spice)
- 3 cucumbers
- 1 bunch spring onion
- 1 bunch dill
- 3 whole eggs
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 8 whole potatoes
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare potatoes to boil and boil them before you start your soup.
- Cut beetroot into long slices then cucumbers into small peaces and bunch of dills into very small peaces.
- Boil eggs into water about 7 minute.
- Cut each egg into 12 peaces.
- All cut ingredients put into pot and add a little bit of salt.
- Mix everything and add buttermilk and then mix again.
- And you can eat it.
- This soup you also can eat fresh mashed potatoes.