Prep 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
Delicious Appetizer Roll, or Half a Meal! Beneath the Thin Crust is Fluffy, Rich Bun with a Surprise Center
- 3 -3 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 envelope fleischmann fast rising yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 large egg
- 1 egg, beaten with
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1⁄2 lb sliced bacon, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 3⁄4 cup chopped onion
- In a large bowl, combine 1 cup flour, sugar, undissolved yeast, and salt.
- Heat water, milk, sour cream, and butter until very warm (120° to 130°F).
- Beat 2 minutes at medium speed of electric mixer, scraping bowl occasionally.
- Add 1 egg and 1 cup flour; beat 2 minutes at high speed.
- Stir in enough remaining flour to make a soft dough.
- Knead on lightly greased surface until smooth and elastic, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Cover; let rest 10 minutes.
- Divide dough into 12 equal pieces; flatten to 3-inch rounds.
- Place one rounded tablespoon Bacon Filling on center of each.
- Bring edges of dough up to enclose filling; pinch to seal.
- I like to dampen edges with lightly beaten egg white and seal with well floured fingers for a good seal.
- Place, pinched sides down, on greased baking sheet, about 2 inches apart.
- Cover; let rise in warm, draft-free place until doubled in size, about 45 minutes.
- Brush surface of each roll with egg mixture.
- Bake at 350°F for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden.
- Remove from sheet; serve warm.
- BACON FILLING: In large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until crisp, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Drain on paper towels; discard drippings from skillet.
- In same skillet, cook onion, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat; stir in bacon.
These are good, but next time I will make twice as much filling.
These are great! We can never make enough during the holidays. If I have any leftover ham off the bone, I trim and grind a bit and add to the cooked bacon filling. Adds a bit of extra flavor.
My mom makes a similar recipe to this! It's been in our Lithuanian family for years.
Our recipes are almost identical except for the sour cream. The sour cream is a fantastic touch and I will be using it in the future!