Recipe by evelyn/athens
This is the Quisine Queen's attempt to lighten up a recipe for Middle Eastern Tuna Salad Pitas Middle Eastern Tuna Salad Pitas by Nick's Mom. I eliminated the hummus, mayo and sesame oil completely and made up a lighter version of the dressing by using 2% yoghurt (Greek-style - the 0% is also good - and less fat) and ingredients normally found in hummus. The taste of sesame is added to the final sandwich with the addition of sesame seeds to add both crunch and flavour.
Top Review by chefwally
I really enjoyed this. Found an Eastern Store hidden away in one of our neighborhoods and was ale to get the freshest pitas. I never used chickpeas this way and I loved the taste of them with the yorgurt. I put in extra garlic, used romaine lettuce and some great fresh tomatoes. This made a great dinner for me.
- 3⁄4 cup 2% low-fat Greek yogurt (thick, Greek-style)
- 1⁄2 cup cooked chickpeas
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 (12 ounce) can solid white tuna packed in water, drained and flaked
- 3 teaspoons toasted sesame seeds
- 1⁄4 cup green onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 4 whole wheat pita bread, cut in half to form pockets
- 4 plum tomatoes, cleaned and thinly sliced
- 8 leaves boston lettuce or 8 leaves red leaf lettuce, cleaned and patted dry
Directions See How It's Made
- Make dressing by zapping all the dressing ingredients together in a mini-processor until thoroughly combined and the garlic and chickpeas have been pureed. (do try to make the dressing atleast a couple of hours before making the sandwiches, to allow all the ingredients to 'meld' and 'marry' - even the previous day is OK).
- To prepare tuna salad: Combine all ingredients, including dressing, except pitas, lettuce, and tomato in a medium-sized mixing bowl and stir well to mix. Taste for salt, and adjust seasonings as necessary.
- Salad can be prepared 1 day ahead. To store, cover and refrigerate.
- To assemble sandwiches: Divide tuna salad equally and mound in pita pockets. Add several tomato slices and a lettuce leaf to each pocket. Arrange sandwiches in a basket or on a serving plate. Serve immediately.