Prep 3 hrs
Cook 0 mins
I really like this recipe, it's always been great. it's also easy. I got this from Libby's Very best baking site at www.verybestbaking.com
- 1 unbaked 9-inch deep dish pie pastry
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin
- 1 (12 fluid ounce) can fat-free evaporated milk
- MIX sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, ginger and salt in small bowl.
- Beat egg whites lightly in large bowl.
- Stir in pumpkin and sugar mixture.
- Gradually stir in evaporated milk.
- POUR into pie shell.
- BAKE in preheated 425°F oven for 15 minutes.
- Reduce temperature to 350° F.
- ;bake for additional 30 to 40 minutes or until knife inserted near center comes out clean.
- Cool on wire rack for 2 hours.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate.
- (Do not freeze as this will cause filling to separate from crust.).
I'm sorry, but I really had problems with this pie. I think it was the cornstarch, which I normally don't see in PP recipes. My pie did not solidify, even after I baked it an extra 30 minutes than directed. I cooled it and tried to cut it this morning and it just was a mess. It tasted fine, but was just not appealing enough to serve to guests. I put it in the freezer for a later day and started over. I ended up borrowing a can of pumpkin from a neighbor and making the regular Libby's recipe.
I can't believe I have neglected to rate this recipe! It is probably my favorite dessert recipe of all time. I made it with a graham cracker crust for Thanksgiving, and I could have eaten the whole thing myself! I've used this since I found it on the Libby's website, but thank you so much for posting it here. Delicious; you really cannot tell that it is "lite!"
I love pumpkin pie so much! So, every once in awhile I'll get a strong craving for it, and eat the whole thing in 5 minutes. Well, that was today! Except, I made it crustless, preparing it in a 2 quart baking dish. Also, I used Splenda (for baking)- probably closer to 1 cup. Otherwise, everything was the same, and it was perfect! When it was time to bake it at 350 degrees, I had it in for about 35 minutes. Based on how the pie looked when it was done, I was a little unsure if it had turned out. The top of it looked hard and there was a lot of liquid bubbling around the sides. But, by the time it had cooled for 2 hours and had been in the fridge for awhile (I like it cold), it was great. So yes, this was good! It satisfied my craving! Also, I've made crustless pumpkin pie before- following the regular Libby's recipe but having used 2 egg whites and 1 egg, Splenda, and fat free evaporated milk. But today, I only had 2 eggs left! So this recipe saved me (It using only 2 egg whites!) Thanks!