Recipe by Kayteigh
I really like this recipe, it's always been great. it's also easy. I got this from Libby's Very best baking site at www.verybestbaking.com
Top Review by Pam-I-Am
I'm sorry, but I really had problems with this pie. I think it was the cornstarch, which I normally don't see in PP recipes. My pie did not solidify, even after I baked it an extra 30 minutes than directed. I cooled it and tried to cut it this morning and it just was a mess. It tasted fine, but was just not appealing enough to serve to guests. I put it in the freezer for a later day and started over. I ended up borrowing a can of pumpkin from a neighbor and making the regular Libby's recipe.
- 1 unbaked 9-inch deep dish pie pastry
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin
- 1 (12 fluid ounce) can fat-free evaporated milk
Directions See How It's Made
- MIX sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, ginger and salt in small bowl.
- Beat egg whites lightly in large bowl.
- Stir in pumpkin and sugar mixture.
- Gradually stir in evaporated milk.
- POUR into pie shell.
- BAKE in preheated 425°F oven for 15 minutes.
- Reduce temperature to 350° F.
- ;bake for additional 30 to 40 minutes or until knife inserted near center comes out clean.
- Cool on wire rack for 2 hours.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate.
- (Do not freeze as this will cause filling to separate from crust.).