Recipe by Big Mtnt Woman
This recipe was based on “Very Moist Banana Bread” in RecipeZarr. I lightened it up by using less sugar, and substituting applesauce for the oil. Some banana tips: This bread is best with very ripe, black bananas. Put ripe bananas in the freezer. They will ripen a little more and stay usable for several months. The frozen bananas will thaw in less than an hour at room temperature. You can also ripen a banana in the microwave. Start with 30 seconds. Add 15 more seconds, continue until ripe.
Top Review by blueberry2
Pretty good recipe...I had to make a few adjustments based on available ingredients, but the recipe still produced a tasty bread. I only had 1/2 cup of applesauce, so I added 1/4 canola oil. I didn't have buttermilk or sour milk, so I used half n half - not sure what this did or didn't do to the "science" of the buttermilk + baking soda! I also used a mini muffin pan instead of loaf pans and they baked quickly (about 20 mins at 355). Overall = Moist and flavorful. I'd use this recipe again.
- 4 -5 bananas
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3⁄4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1⁄3 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄4 cup buttermilk or 1⁄4 cup sour milk
- 1 cup pecans (chopped)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease or spray 2 8” x 4” loaf pans.
- Use very ripe bananas, 5 is best. In a large bowl, mash bananas.
- Add eggs, vanilla, and applesauce and blend.
- Add dry ingredients and stir well. (1/2 cup Splenda Plus for baking may be substituted for sugar).
- Dissolve baking soda in milk. Put this in a container bigger than one cup. It will foam up a lot.
- Add milk mixture to rest of ingredients and mix well.
- Fold in nuts and pour into greased pans.
- Bake for about 1 hour and 5 minutes depending on your oven. Start checking for doneness at 55 minutes. (especially with Pyrex pans)
- For a moist bread, a toothpick should come out almost clean. Totally clean will mean a dryer loaf.
- After removing from oven, let cool for 15 minutes and remove from pans. Bread will freeze nicely.