Recipe by Likkel
This is a light version of my original family recipe (#136608). I normally fix this one now that my kids are older and watching their calories!
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 cups nonfat milk
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1⁄2 cup evaporated skim milk
- 12 ounces low-fat sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 8 ounces elbow macaroni, cooked and drained
Directions See How It's Made
- In a saucepan, over low heat, melt butter. Add flour; stir with a wooden spoon 3 minutes or until sauce is frothy and taste of flour is gone.
- Gradually whisk in the milk and continue heating until sauce is just at the boiling point. Turn down the heat; let simmer a few minutes.
- Add pepper and hot suauce but, don't use sauce too sparingly as it helps to bring out the taste of the cheese.
- Stir in the evaporated milk; simmer briefly or until the flavors are blended.
- Stir 3/4 of the cheese into the simmering sauce and stirring until melted. Combine cheese sauce with the cooked macaroni and pour into a 9 x 13 baking dish. Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top.
- Bake at 350 for 30 mintues.