Recipe by fitmama
I love this recipe because no one will ever know its lower in calories unless you tell them, lol. This is a fill it and forget it crock pot recipe that you will enjoy!
Top Review by *Shelly*
This was such a lovely, simple soup to have on a fall day. So good and so fresh tasting! The recipe did not specify fresh or frozen broccoli. I chose to use one pound fresh broccoli that I roughly chopped. The recipe doesn't say when to put in the cream, it only refers to the water and milk. I know in crockpot cooking one usually has to be careful with sour cream and such so I added the cream during the last 20 mins. or so of cooking (I cooked on low for 6 hours). I also must admit that I upped the amount of cream to a full cup (I had a huge carton in the fridge I needed to use plus I just love cream). I also used my cheap hand held emersion blender to smooth it out a little -- not completely smooth -- still like some texture. Thanks for sharing. I will definitely make again!
- 3 tablespoons reduced fat margarine or 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 5 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- pepper (I used 1/2 tsp)
- 1 (1 lb) package broccoli
- 3 cups skim milk
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄3 cup half-and-half
Directions See How It's Made
- In a skillet, heat butter, add onion and simmer about 5 minutes or until soft but not browned.
- Stir in flour and seasonings.
- Add onion mixture to crock pot and slowly add milk and water, stirring until well blended.
- Add broccoli and cook on low until soup reaches desired consistency, approximately 5-6 hours.