Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a very low calorie but full flavored soup. We like to enjoy it with a low fat cornmeal muffin (available on my 'Zaar page). This basic recipe is easily enhanced with seasonings you prefer.
- 48 ounces low fat low calorie chicken broth (I use Swanson at about 15 calories per cup)
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 14 ounces cubed chicken breasts (all fat removed)
- 1 (16 ounce) cansliced carrots, drained
- 4 ounces egg noodles
- Place celery in a microwavable container and slightly cover with water. Cover and microwave for about 3 minutes. Then transfer to a soup pot.
- Add cubed chicken, ginger and pepper to pot with celery. Add enough of the broth to slightly cover the chicken and celery. Bring to a boil and cover. Reduce heat and simmer until chicken is tender and no longer pink; about 20-30 minutes.
- When chicken is cooked add remaining broth and carrots. Return to a boil and add the egg noodles. Cook until noodles are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Salt can be added as needed but prepackaged chicken broth is often salty enough by itself.