Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
I have made this easy chocolate cake from the 2000 Milk Calendar more times than I can keep count of. I've made it plain to serve with ice cream for dessert at home and iced to take in to work for treats. It is delicious both ways. It is also quite versatile. Last time I made it, I didn't have enough yogurt on hand to make it so made up the difference with low fat sour cream. It still turned out great! Please note: The standing time for the icing is included in the cooking time. You can prepare the icing while the cake is baking to save some time.
- 2 tablespoons instant coffee granules
- 1⁄2 cup boiling water
- 2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 3⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 3⁄4 cup plain yogurt
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- To make the cake, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Dissolve the coffee granules in the boiling water and let cool.
- Lightly grease or spray a 13" x 9" baking dish with nonstick cooking spray and line the bottom with waxed paper.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Whisk the milk with the yogurt until blended and add to the flour mixture along with eggs, oil, vanilla and coffee mixture.
- Beat at medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Pour into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until the top springs back when lightly touched.
- Let cool in the pan for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the pan and cool completely on a rack.
- To make the chocolate icing, mix the sugar and cocoa in a small saucepan.
- Whisk in the milk until smooth.
- Over medium heat, bring to a simmer, stirring constantly.
- Continue cooking and stirring for 2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla.
- Let cool for 2 hours (the icing thickens as it cools.).
- Spread over the top of the cake.