Recipe by Elly in Canada
This pie is made with Splenda and low-fat milk and tastes creamy and delicious. Source: Recipes Plus
Top Review by mommyoffour
I made this tonight for our dessert and was a little leary about pulling this off (the whole "lite" thing) with my kids. They had no idea it was made with Splenda!!! They loved it as did DH and myself. I am so glad I tried this recipe of yours. Not only am I thanking you for choosing one of my recipes for the camera-less chef game but I'm thanking you for posting this wonderful recipe. For any chefs reading this review and not sure about the lite thing, rest assured its fantastic and decieving. Thank you so much.....Stephanie
- 1⁄4 cup flaked coconut
- 3⁄4 cup Splenda granular
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄2 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3⁄4 cup flaked coconut
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1 (9 inch) graham cracker crust
Directions See How It's Made
- PREHEAT oven to 350°F
- Bake 1/4 cup coconut in a shallow pan, stirring occasionally, 5 to 6 minutes or until toasted. Set aside.
- Combine Splenda, cornstarch and salt in a heavy saucepan, mixing well.
- Gradually whisk milk into Splenda mixture. Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until thickened and bubbly.
- Remove from heat.
- Beat egg yolks until thick and pale. Gradually whisk 3/4 cup of hot milk mixture into yolks; add yolk mixture to remaining hot milk mixture, whisking constantly.
- Cook over medium heat for 1 minute or until mixture comes to a boil, whisking constantly. Remove from heat; stir in butter, 3/4 cup coconut and flavorings.
- Immediately pour filling into crust. Cover with plastic wrap, gently pressing on filling.
- Chill 3 hours or until firm. Sprinkle with remaining toasted coconut.