Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a wonderful and full flavored soup that doesn't even hint that it happens to be a lite soup. A great tortilla soup for those who prefer chicken to beef. *A reviewer suggested adding some fresh, chopped cilantro, so I added 1/4 c. and it was delightful. Thank you for your suggestions that made a good recipe great!
- 4 (10 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 4 (14 1/2 ounce) cans fat-free chicken broth
- 1 (30 ounce) can fat-free refried beans
- 1 cup whole kernel corn
- 4 cups cooked chicken breasts, shredded
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Combine all the ingredients in a large saucepan or crock pot.
- Heat until hot (15 minutes on the stove or 2 hours on high in the crock pot).
- You can top this soup with baked tortilla strips and low fat shredded cheese and low fat sour cream.
- Note: I often put all the ingredients in the crock pot in the morning, turn it on low and it is ready for us when we come in for dinner.
This was a nice soup that is made fat with pantry items and leftovers. I have made lots of Tortilla.Enchilada type soups over the years but this was a first that it contained refried beans. It did give it a thicker, creamy consistency. It did seem it was missing something though ... maybe some fresh cilantro to garnish and add a spark of freshness? I was out of fresh cilantro and the stuff I had growing is dry and crispy- Texas heat! I did add about a cup or so of fresh green onion- white and green parts and that helped. Still would have been better with some cilantro. I made half of this recipe and it worked well. Wish my camera was working so I could take a pic. :( Served with a garnish of sour cream and tortilla strips. Thanks for a great recipe!
I wanted to serve a tortilla soup for dinner, but one of my guests is allergic to beef and so I had to go on the hunt. I found this recipe and it was a big hit with everyone! I have served it a number of times and ALWAYS get asked for a copy of the recipe. The refried beans make it so nice and creamy. This is great anytime, but particularly during our cold winter days! Thanks for another great recipe!