Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Not your typical, boring smothered chicken! I serve this often for dinner guests. Tastes even better as leftovers! For an even better flavor, soak the chicken in salt water before cooking.
- 4 small boneless skinless chicken breasts
- black pepper
- 1⁄2 small onion, sliced
- 1⁄2 small green pepper, sliced
- 1 (4 ounce) can mushroom stems and pieces
- 6 slices bacon, halved
- 4 slices swiss cheese or 4 slices provolone cheese
- Place chicken breast in 9 x 13 pan.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Top with onions, green pepper, and mushrooms.
- Place 3 bacon strips on each breast.
- Bake at 375 for 45 minutes or until chicken and bacon are done.
- Remove from oven and top each breast with one slice of cheese.
- Let sit untill cheese is melted and serve.
Yum! I use turkey bacon, which works fine; I have also found that substituting spinach for mushrooms is a delicious variation.
This got mixed reviews at my house. I really enjoyed this but hubby wasn't crazy about this. I followed the recipe as written other then I used fresh mushrooms. Personally I thought the chicken could have used more seasoning but other then that, I liked it. Hubby didn't care for the peppers and onions in this. I used the swiss cheese for me and hubby and used cheddar cheese for the kids as they don't like swiss. I thought it tasted good both ways. I did have some problems with my bacon getting cooked. I ended up cooking it in the microwave to get it cooked to the doneness I like.
This recipe was great! I followed it almost exactly except I did not have sliced cheese so I used grated. Came out wonderful!. Next time I think I will add some minced garlic.