Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is from the book Sugar Cookie Murder by Joanne Fluke. I'm saving it here to try later. Prep time is an estimate, and cooking time is for one pan, not the whole batch.
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup strong coffee
- 1 cup pitted dates, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup walnuts (measure after they're chopped) or 1 cup pecans, chopped (measure after they're chopped)
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- 3 1⁄2 cups flour (don't need to sift)
- In a bowl, combine the semisweet chips, butter and coffee. Microwave on HIGH until they're melted, approximately 2 minutes. Stir until the chips are smooth.
- Add the chopped dates, mix them in, and set the mixture aside.
- Put the sugar in a large mixing bowl, and stir in the eggs.
- Add vanilla, baking soda and salt. Mix thoroughly.
- Add the melted chocolate mixture to the sugar mixture.
- Mix in the nuts and milk chocolate chips.
- Add flour gradually, mixing after each addition.
- Let the dough sit for about 10 minutes.
- Then drop the dough onto a greased cookie sheet by teaspoons.
- Flatten the dough balls slightly with the heel of your hand. (If dough is too sticky, chill it for a few minutes.).
- Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes.
- Let the cookies rest on the cookie sheet for a minute or two, and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.