Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
I got this recipe from my cousin Lisa, but there is an (unrelated) amusing story that comes with it. When I was in college, my roommate's boyfriend HATED broccoli, until he tried this casserole. I gave the recipe to my roommate, who passed it on to his mom. When his family came down for graduation, his mom gave me a big hug and thanked me for finding a way to get her son to eat broccoli! Note: I've also made this into a complete meal by adding leftover cooked chicken to the broccoli mixture before baking.
- 2 boxes frozen chopped broccoli (thawed)
- 1 box frozen chopped spinach (thawed) (optional)
- 1⁄2 lb grated cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 onion, chopped
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 eggs
- 4 tablespoons butter (may need more)
- 1 package Ritz cracker (sleeve)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Mix all the ingredients together except the butter and the crackers, and pour into a casserole pan.
- Crush the crackers, either in the unopened roll, or in a plastic bag.
- Melt the butter in a frying pan, and saute crackers until all the butter has been absorbed.
- Sprinkle the crackers on top of the broccoli mixture and bake for 45 minutes.
Please give your cousin Lisa a huge kiss and a hug for me, this casserole is delicious. I followed the directions but added salt and pepper along with some paprika and some cayenne for flavor. You might want to correct the recipe, at least to add salt and pepper to taste, otherwise the casserole might be a little too bland. I'm also Somersizing, so I left out the Ritz crackers, and the casserole had a wonderful frittata consistency to it. Great recipe, nice and green!
This dish was fantastic. I accidently left out the onions but I didn't miss it at all. I loved everything about this dish. I like the idea of adding chicken and making it a complete meal. I think I'll be making this again as a veggie dish for Thanksgiving. This is truly a 5+ star rating. I'm so glad you posted this recipe...Thanks again!!!!
Hi. I love this recipe! :) I made a few small changes though. I left out the onion and used 2 boxes of spinach and 1 of broccoli, and I added just a little bit of salt. Other than that, I followed your instructions and it is so good. Thank you so much. I made it for our Family's Christmas Potluck gathering and everyone loved it. :)