Prep 10 mins
Cook 24 hrs
This unusual cheese spread will prove to be good for breakfast, lunch, or dinner.
- 3 lbs large-curd cottage cheese, drained in cheesecloth overnight
- 2 lbs cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 cup yellow onion, peeled and diced (1/4-inch dice)
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed, ground in a spice ginger
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 3 tablespoons Hungarian paprika
- salt (optional)
- Place some cheesecloth in a large colander and pour in the cottage cheese.
- Tie up the ends of the cloth so that you have a bag you can hang over a bowl overnight. You want to drain the whey from cheese.
- The next morning, mix all ingredients except the cottage cheese, paprika, and optional salt.
- Mix well and then fold in the paprika and cottage cheese. Do this gently, as you want the spread to have some texture.
- Taste for salt and add if desired.