Prep 24 hrs
Cook 2 hrs
The wild gals of Café Zmakk bring to you “Lip Zmakk'in Gypsy Gelato” - a delectable and creamy concoction of cream, amaretto, almonds, marzipan, amoreto biscotti all topped off with sumptuous red fruit! The ingredients represent our team PERFECTLY! French Tart feels flighty and flirty with a tipple of Amaretto, whilst Mom2Rose gets quite nutty when she eats almonds! Katew craves the deep and mysterious feel of marzipan topped with raunchy raspberries; however, AuntWoofieWoof likes to bathe in a bath of double cream with a few strawberries thrown in for good measure! Annisette favours vanilla, because she is pretty strong on her own but likes to enhance the flavours of others. Meanwhile, Chef Pot Pie thinks she should tell you, that she is JUST like an amaretto biscuit, as she’s sweet, a little crunchy, and GREAT with coffee! Zurie swings into action with her thin almond wafers – sophisticated and ready to SCOOP up any ice cream within 10 paces! Emily Elizabeth finishes off this delightful delectation with a spoon full of sugar. This creation is brought to you by special delivery. Are YOU wild enough to sample our Lip Zmakk'in Gypsy Gelato? You will need an ice cream maker for this.
- 7 ounces marzipan (Almond Paste)
- 2⁄3 cup fine sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond essence
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄4 cups half-and-half
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄4 cup amaretto liqueur
- 1 cup crushed amaretto biscotti
- 1⁄4 cup toasted chopped almonds
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh strawberries
- 1⁄2 cup fresh raspberries or 1⁄2 cup frozen raspberries
- almond ice cream wafer, to serve
- Combine the marzipan and sugar in a bowl and beat with an electric mixer until smooth.
- Add eggs one at a time – beating well after each addition. Beat in the almond and vanilla essence and then add the salt.
- Bring the half-and-half to a gentle simmer in a saucepan, and then slowly beat in the warm half-and-half and the cream into the marzipan mixture – pour it all back into the saucepan and heat over a low heat. Stir it CONSTANTLY until the custard thickens slightly. Be careful NOT to let it boil or the eggs will scramble!
- Remove from the heat and pour into a bowl and allow to cool. Add the Amaretto liqueur and allow to chill over night or for several hours in the refrigerator.
- Stir the chilled custard well and freeze in an ice cream maker in 1 or 2 batches, according to the machine’s instructions. Add HALF of the crushed amaretto biscotti with half of the toasted chopped almonds when the ice cream is semi-frozen – allow the machine to mix them into the ice cream.
- Pour the ice cream into a freezer proof container and sprinkle the rest of the amaretto biscotti and almonds on the top, along with the strawberries and raspberries – gently pushing them down into the surface. Freeze for 2 hours for a firmer ice cream or serve straight away for a softer finish, with almond ice cream wafers.
What a nice combination of flavours. Each time I was tasting it was delicious. Each addition was great. Full of almond flavours. Thanks for creating this gelato. I feel that I'm going to do it again. I also heated the marzipan in the microwave a little bit. Thanks :) Made for the Babes of ZWT4
An almond lover's dream! Creamy gelato packed with fresh berries and crunchy cookies in every bite. I mixed in the cookies and berries to the finished gelato by hand as mine initially froze into a very soft set. I too found that microwaving my almond paste made it easier to mix with the sugar. This was my first time making gelato/ ice cream with half and half vs all heavy cream and was pleased with the texture and creaminess. Well done Cafe' ZMAKK Gypsies! Made for ZWT4.
A fabulous concoction of different flavours and textures; I made this with marzipan that was at room temperture and was easy to mix with the sugar and a hand held whisk. I suggest gently heating it up in a microwave if your marzipan is hard! I love almonds and this was a very elegant and delicious ice cream/gelato - a real dinner party dessert! Made for ZWT4 - thanks! FT:-)