Recipe by Baby Kato
These short ribs are wonderful. A real comfort dish, beautiful served with mashed potatoes and fresh garden peas. My family loves short ribs and we are always on the lookout for new ways to prepare them. I always buy short ribs with the bone, as they have the most flavor. The basic recipe is a friends, I've just changed a few things to make them perfect for my familys taste buds. I hope you will enjoy these as much as we do.
Top Review by Outta Here
Wow, is this ever good. So rich and flavorful. Loved the parsnips. This is worth making just for the sauce. Going to put this one in my rotation for when I see short ribs on sale.
- 3 1⁄2 tablespoons oil, sunflower
- 6 beef short ribs, bone in
- 2 leeks, use the white only, sliced
- 2 carrots, sweet, peeled, coarsely chopped
- 2 parsnips, peeled, coarsely chopped
- 2 celery ribs, coarsely chopped
- 2 onions, medium, sweet, sliced
- 2 shallots, french, minced
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon salt, seasoned
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 1⁄2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup sugar, brown
- 3 sprigs rosemary, fresh
- 1 sprig thyme, fresh
- 1 tablespoon mustard, dijon
- 4 cups beef stock
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a heavy pan. I use a cast iron one.
- I sear the ribs, two at a time to give them space to cook, for about 5 minutes per side or until well browned.
- After all the ribs have been seared, remove from pan and put aside until needed.
- Add leeks, carrots, parsnips, celery, onion, shallots and garlic to the pan and cook on low heat, stirring occasionally for 15 - 20 minutes.
- Now add the tomato paste, salt, red & black peppers to the vegetable mixture and cook for 8 - 10 minutes more.
- Next add the vinegar, sugar, rosemary, thyme, mustard, mix well and then add the beef stock.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Return the short ribs to the pot and bring to a low simmer and cover.
- Place in a 325 oven for 2 - 2 1/2 hours or until the ribs are tender.
- Remove the ribs from pot, cover with foil to keep warm.
- Remove all vegetables from liquit and bring the liquid to a boil, cooking until reduce to 1 cup.
- Drizzle the glaze over the ribs and enjoy.